Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: meta: item types, etc.

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: meta: item types, etc.
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:25:30 -0700 (PDT)

Cameron,

I think you had the right idea when you suggested just depreciating all the
"Letter" Item Types, and just using the "0-9 Number" Item Types.

Testing today on the JumpJet Server, I was able to properly open all sorts of
data files (*.xls, *.pdf, *.gif, *.jpg, *.wav, *.mpg, and others) through
the Internet Explorer Browser, when I set their type on the server to Type 9...
as long as the files contained the proper File Extension.

IF Macintosh and Linux users put File Extensions onto the files they put on
their Servers, then their really is NO reason why we need to extend the
"Letter" Item Types, and we can even depreciate ALL the "Letter" Item Types to
history.

SIMPLE is Better.