Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Link to local file?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Link to local file?
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:21:02 -0700 (PDT)

The "Tricks of the Internet Gurus" document can already be found archived on
JumpJet:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/00\Begin_Here\References\TIG_ch18.txt

  I would highly recommend that anyone working with Gopher read the archived
articles in the JumpJet selector:
gopher://ve131.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\References

Jeff W <simple@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  David Meyer
wrote:
> By the way, I found an interesting text on gopherspace
> constructions:
>
> ftp://ftp.more.net/pub/docs/Archive_docs/gobuild.txt

An arguably better source of info is chapter 18 from
"Tricks of the Internet Gurus". There are several on-line
copies of the book; search on "gopher gurus". Here's a
russia-based copy:

http://docs.rinet.ru/ITricks/tig18.htm

I used to have several old gopher-related articles on the
out of the backups.

If you're craving an actual book I'd suggest the following:

"Managing INTERNET Information Services"
- WWW, Gopher, FTP and more
O'Reilly & Assoc., Inc. - c 1994

It covers pretty much everything that was known about UMN
Gopher client/server at the time. Gopher is covered in
chapters 11-16 and appendices A-C. It was the best $1 I
ever spent on gopher reading materials. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff W.