Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Removing OverbiteFF from back-level Firefox / HGopher stock

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Removing OverbiteFF from back-level Firefox / HGopher stock configuration
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 07:39:30 -0700 (PDT)

More Windows Clients can be found at:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Clients\Windows_3x
  and
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Clients\Windows_9x

David Meyer <papa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > Fortunately, simply uninstalling OverbiteFF should restore Firefox 2 to
> its previous functionality. You should also find and delete the
> extensions.overbiteff.buildmark preference in about:config if it
> persists, just to make things perfectly clean.

Thanks, Cameron. That restored the gopher functionality in my
Firefox installation.

As a reference to anyone else who tries this, you don't
explicitly delete the about:config preference, but reset it to 0
and then restart Firefox, which removes it from the preferences list.

I think for the time being I'll use HGopher on my Windows box. I
notice the stock bookmark file in
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/5/gopher/clients/win/hgopher2_3.zip
is all dead links. It might be easier for beginners to replace
the bookmarks with currently active links, or provide a file of
active bookmarks in a separate but easy-to-find file.

--
David Meyer
Takarazuka, Japan

Access, No Cost.