Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: Gopher server on shared host

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher server on shared host
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:19:21 -0700 (PDT)

> Any recommendations for a Gopher server to run in a shared Linux hosting
> environment?
> We're on DreamHost PS (http://www.dreamhostps.com/), so can run processes,
> but do not have root access. I've looked at some of the gopher servers on
> offer and a recommendation would be helpful. Thanks!

The primary problem you will have is running a process on port 70. If your
package allows you to bind port numbers that low through some sort of
trusted method, and you have your own IP, there should be no problem.

If you cannot bind port 70, you can still run a server on a high port
number such as 7070. How you would do this depends on the server package
you use. The primary issue there is that Mozilla is hardcoded to only use
port 70, part of the thing that OverbiteFF seeks to change (speaking of
which, there will be a new OverbiteFF release later tonight -- more shortly).

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Workers of the world, stand up! You have nothing to lose but your chairs. --