Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2008:
[gopher] Re: Path length limitation

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Path length limitation
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:14:26 -0800 (PST)

No, definately a SERVER issue.

  Tested (and reproduced) limitation with the Windows Browsers: Firefox,
Internet Explorer, and Lynx.  Limitation also occured with the dedicated
Windows Gopher Client: WSGopher32.

  Not a Windows File System issue either, as Windows allows 256 character paths
(a significant increase over the old DOS limit of 64 characters).

Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > I thank Gerald for helping to uncover a Gopher Server limitation. I do not
> know if this is a limitation for all Gopher 0 Servers or just the GopherS
> Server (gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Servers\Windows_NT\GopherS),
> so for now I will just claim it as a GopherS limitation:

This wasn't a *client* issue, was it? Does he still have the same problem if
he uses another client to access the selector in question? (What is the
selector he was trying to access?)

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Don't wear rollerskates to a tug-of-war. -- Larry Wall ---------------------