Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2008:
[gopher] Path length limitation

Subject: [gopher] Path length limitation
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:08:50 -0800 (PST)

I thank Gerald for helping to uncover a Gopher Server limitation.  I do not
know if this is a limitation for all Gopher 0 Servers or just the GopherS
Server (gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Servers\Windows_NT\GopherS),
so for now I will just claim it as a GopherS limitation:

  == The maximum PATH length for a file name is 106 characters (the PATH is
everything in the Gopher 0 URL that comes after the root "slash" character). ==

  This means you could have a file name in the servers root directory that was
106 characters long; or, if you put the same file in a directory called "X",
then the file name could only be 104 characters long (106 minus the directory
name "X" and the "slash character").