Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: November 2007:
[gopher] Re: GOPHER file format.

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: GOPHER file format.
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:06:33 -0800 (PST)

There are dozens of Gopher Servers for various platforms
(gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Servers),
  including a native one for ANY variant of Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, etc.
(gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Servers\Windows%20NT\GopherS).

  GopherS (GSI386.ZIP) is in fact so stable, compatible (it can even be run on
the "home" variants of Windows), and easy to use that the JumpJet server was
migrated to a cheap Virtual Windows Server service out in the "Internet Cloud"
long ago.
Trevor <greendragon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  as an aside, i've found nothing in the rfc archives that indicates a
standard on how servers need to organize their entries, just what data has
to be sent. if anyone has info on that, i'd appreciate it. not only am i
working on a gopher client for windows, i'd like to build a server as well,
since gopher hasn't been a supported (and obscure) option for IIS since
windows NT server 4.0

i'd like to put together not only a client for the latest versions of
windoze, but have been considering building a server as well. i think the
community is severely missing both. and no offense, but i don't want to have
to run cygwin or have perl installed to run a gopher server. i'd love to
build a native windoze server. anyone who wants to help, let me know.

also, i'm having problems linking with the cso lookup types. anyone know
where i can find a cso server? NASA used to have one, but it's down, and
when i wrote them about it they kind of laughed at me. ("why are you using
old technology??")

on the up side. a windoze native client is progressing nicely. hopefully
i'll have it done soon. keep in mind i have many other projects going on as
well. but soon.

trevor