Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: November 2007:
[gopher] Re: GOPHER file format.

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: GOPHER file format.
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:44:27 -0800 (PST)

> It is anything like universal gopher file format ?
> In the HTTP world i can use the *same* html document on any HTTP
> server without problem. And what abbout GOPHER ?
>
> It is any universal form or its always depend on gopher sever ?
> In exampe on SDF's gopherd when i wish to create link to files, I
> must(?) use .links files with contents like:
>
> Name=BIO
> Type=0
> Path=./bio.txt
> Numb=1
>
> It is a standard and universal way ?

This is the UMN links style, which is the most common format, and is supported
in pygopherd as well.

Bucktooth does not support it, and some other newer servers might not. The
reason Bucktooth doesn't is simply because I think the format sucked, but I
do freely admit this wasn't nice for compatibility.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- It is one thing to praise discipline, and another to submit to it.-Cervantes