Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2007:
[gopher] Re: How was Veronica-2 made

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: How was Veronica-2 made
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

> > > Sure. It's at http://192.168.0.7/cygwin/xinetd-config. It may only work
> > > under cygwin though.
> >
> > Unfortunately 192.168.*.* isn't an externally resolvable network. :-(
>
> What do you mean? I put it up there so you could download it.

RFC 1918 specifies certain networks as internal, i.e., not routable to the
Internet-at-large. These networks are 10/24, 172.16/20 and 192.168/16. Thus,
anything you put up on 192.168.0.7 is visible to your internal network,
which is presumably also 192.168.something.something, but not visible to the
Internet because your direct upstream router shouldn't route these packets.
Furthermore, any request I make for them from *my* internal network won't
get out to the Internet to even get near to your computer.

The upshot is, you'll need to upload it to somewhere with an externally
routable IP address.

I'm back at the G5 but there is a problem on one of the boxes so I need to
fix that first before I look into cygwin.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. -- Carl Sagan --------------