Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2007:
[gopher] Re: How was Veronica-2 made

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: How was Veronica-2 made
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:50:53 -0700 (PDT)

You are using the WRONG SERVER.  Never, Ever, run "PURE DOS" Servers under
Windows (ANY version of WIndows; from Windows 1.0 thru Vista)!

  Windows XP is based on the Windows NT code.  You need to run a Windows NT
code based Server.  I suggest "GopherS" (file name "GSI386.ZIP"), as it is
extremely easy to install and configure.  You can get it from here:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Servers\Windows%20NT\GopherS

Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > And now I'm having trouble setting up the real gopher server under windows
> xp sp2. I'm using the KA9QNOS Gopher Server for jumjet. Maybe I'll try
> bucktooth, does it run under windows?

I've never tried. I imagine it will work fine with cygwin, but it needs an
inetd-like "thing" to hang it off of and I don't think there's anything like
that in vanilla Windows.

--
----------------------------------- personal: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/ ---
Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx