Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2007:
[gopher] Re: Students using Gopher

To: <gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gopher] Re: Students using Gopher
From: "Mike Bird" <mdbird@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:02:18 -0000

I teach on a HND which is a vocational sub-degree course at Doncaster
College in England. In the first semester I teach Hardware and Operating
Systems and the second semester Networking. The Networking module covers
TCP/IP and places great emphasis on setting up Client / Server networks.
Previously I got the students to setup web and ftp servers. Two years ago I
was faced with a group who reckoned they knew everything about web servers
so I challenged them to set up a gopher server.

They decided to use GN GOPHER.  This comes as part of Redhat Linux 4.2 and
installs a gopher server straight out of the box serving pages from the
/home/gopher directory. The mappings are made in a .cache file. The gn
mkcache command turns a plain text file called menu into a series of tab
separated selector strings that can be accessed by clients. GN gopher uses
inetd and it is helpful to modify the inetd.conf file to allow gopher to
create a log file so those early teething problems can be quickly sorted
out. The group used Firefox 1.5 and IE explorer version 3 as clients. I
found this to be a good challenge showing them that there are ports other
than 80 and also the work gave them experience of tcp streams and inetd.

The following year's group decided to use Bucktooth 0.2 for their gopher
server on a Redhat Linux 7.2 Server. This package can be downloaded from the
floodgap. Bucktooth 0.2 is designed to run from xinetd. The install is
managed by a Perl script file. Gopher pages are served from a directory
/usr/local/gopher. Bucktooth does not need a mapping file it will offer the
entire contents of the directory to a gopher client. But for that more
authentic gopher experience you can making mappings via a file called
gophermap it contains the usual tab separated selectors. Also it is possible
to embed text and ascii art in the gophermap file to improve the
presentation of gopher pages. This group of students were more adventurous
in the search for gopher clients and found WGOPHER, HGOPHER, LYNX_W32, and
even an old version of Netscape Navigator.

I don't try to inculcate strict gopher design guidelines I give them an
example and let them do their own thing in some ways I am more interested in
the journey than the destination. Most of the pages they put on the gopher
server are Type=h Path=h/usr/local/gopher/mywebsite. Serving graphics for
these pages can be a challenge and the easiest option is to put these files
in the public ftp folder and reference them from the web page.

This year I am considering getting the students to setup a Windows NT server
and use IIS version 4 to serve gopher pages. However I am beginning to
realize that retro computing projects with Microsoft software can be
difficult and I am beginning to understand the lengths Microsoft have gone
to, to kill off Windows NT.

I have found that using gopher can provide new and challenging projects for
students.

Any views or suggestion would be welcome.

Regards,

Mike Bird