Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2006:
[gopher] Re: Yet another gopher browser for another OS: Arachne under DO

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Yet another gopher browser for another OS: Arachne under DOS
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:17:39 -0800 (PST)

> > You made me curious about this -- I have Arachne 1.70 on my little 486
> > utility laptop but I never tried gopher on it before. It comes up with
>
> Maybe you should update to the latest version available at
> http://www.cisnet.com/glennmcc/arachne/a190j1.zip . 1.70 is rather outdated.

Is it faster? One of my complaints is that Arachne is quite sluggish, even
considering this is a diminutive little 486DX/40. If 1.90j1 is speedier,
that's definitely a plus.

> > "Gopher Query" but no search box. Is that what yours does?
>
> Exactly. See http://stegozor.googlepages.com/VERONICA.png . I'm thinking
> about mentioning the bug to Arachne developers, and useful information
> from a skilled gopher sysop would help (why in your opinion it's
> behaving the way it does, or anything I just can't imagine ;)

At least for old-5k00l browsers, they usually implemented item type 7 in
HTML as <isindex>. Naturally they don't do that anymore but I remember that
being the case for pre-Mozilla Netscape, at least. I don't know if Arachne
does that internally or not (haven't looked at the generated source and I'm
at work right now).

--
--------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ ---
  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx