Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: December 2006:
[gopher] Yet another gopher browser for another OS: Arachne under DOS

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Yet another gopher browser for another OS: Arachne under DOS
From: Stegozor <stegozor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 03:42:56 +0100

Hi folks,
I just managed to get the Arachne web suite for DOS work. Of course, I
checked at once whether it was able to browse gopher sites. The answer
is yes, at least partly. I wasn't able to use Cameron's Veronica engine,
and everything on a gopher page is linkyfied. However, selectors are
marked with a different icon depending on their content (see screenshot)
and they work quite fine. If you don't have a mouse, tab and shift-tab
combinations allow to choose the links you want. So, if you don't click
on informational text on purpose, it's quite usable.

I've added a screenshot, and if you want to give it a try by yourself,
it's not that hard: find the right packet driver for your network
interface card if you use broadband or let Arachne detect your dial-up
modem (my *winmodem* wasn't detected), download Arachne from
http://www.cisnet.com/glennmcc , make a boot diskette, boot with it.
Then launch the packet driver, and then Arachne.

Well, I think Arachne deserves to be mentioned as gopher capable
browser, especially given the fact that it doesn't need an installed OS.
A simple boot diskette is enough, moreover there are not so many
alternatives under DOS/FreeDOS.

Cheers.

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: Arachne_DOS.gif