[gopher] Re: Active ?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Active ?
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:36:43 -0700 (PDT)

  Neither gopher://alessandro.route-add.net  or gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su are
accessable from Port 70.  This is probably due to these Gopher servers being
removed from Internet service.

  The error you are experiencing appears to NOT be a issue with your Gopher
software, but an issue with your DNS server.  As you state:
  "When I go to a site I get mixed messages on unreachable links, one is pretty
instantaneous telling me that the site is not available, the second hangs the
gopher program for 2-3 minutes before telling me that it cannot connect to the
host.".

  The "instantaneous" failure is because there is no longer a physical IP
address associated with the server you are trying to reach, so the DNS server
sends back a quick response.  The failure that APPEARS to "hang" is because
there is still an IP address associated with the unreachable servers (in the
case of gopher://alessandro.route-add.net it is 192.182.210.150, and the case
of gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su it is 81.3.164.16 ), and the DNS server spends a
considerable amount of time trying to reach the associated pysical IP address.

  As for Gopher+... Even in the heyday of Gopher servers, Gopher+ servers were
a rare exception; because Gopher+ never was, and highly probably never will be,
a protocol extension that the majority of the Gopher community desires to
support.  Virtually all modern servers on the Internet today (including
JumpJet) are standard Gopher servers, and it is possible that soon there may no
longer be any Gopher+ servers remaining on the Internet.

  I personally don't know of any operating Gopher+ servers I can direct you to.
 You can however run your own server on your own local network just to see what
it would look like.  Servers can be found at:
gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Servers .

John Burnett <jburnett58@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:47:06AM +0200, Stegozor wrote:
> John Burnett wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the link, nice format.
> > I was reading some of the old messages and saw a discussion but
> > no resolution on a problem that I am having (...)
> >
> > I am running gopher 3.0.13 on the Debian testing-unstable distribution
>
> I just installed Gopher 3.0.11 using Synaptic package manager under
> Ubuntu (Dapper) GNU/Linux (3.0.11 is the latest version available
> according to Synaptic and the package maintainer is a member of this
> mailing-list :).
> Could you please provide a link so I can try to reproduce?

gopher://alessandro.route-add.net
gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su

The error message when I try to connect from the command line is
gopher: Nothing received for main menu, can't continue

Both of these sites hung the program for better than 3 minutes
before allowing me re-access to the program.

Thanks again,
John Burnett
Tue Aug 15 20:23:51 CDT 2006

> Also, could someone send a few links so I can finally see what Gopher+
> looks like? Google isn't of much help.

starting at 1¢/min.