[gopher] Bug in Gopher client? (was: Active ?)

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Bug in Gopher client? (was: Active ?)
From: Stegozor <stegozor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:46:03 +0200

On 8/16/06, John Burnett <jburnett58@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I was reading some of the old messages and saw a discussion but
> > > no resolution on a problem that I am having
> > > When I go to a site I get mixed messages on unreachable links,
> > > one is pretty instantaneous telling me that the site is not
> > > available, the second hangs the gopher program for 2-3 minutes
> > > before telling me that it cannot connect to the host. I can then
> > > press enter and return to the menu, prior to this I can't seem to
> > > cancel the request without shutting down my gopher program, ie
> > > ctrl-c. I can suspend the program with ctrl-z and kill it with
> > >ctrl-\.
> > > I am running gopher 3.0.13 on the Debian testing-unstable distribution
> >
> > I just installed Gopher 3.0.11 using Synaptic package manager under
> > Ubuntu (Dapper) GNU/Linux (3.0.11 is the latest version available
> > according to Synaptic and the package maintainer is a member of this
> > mailing-list :).
> > Could you please provide a link so I can try to reproduce?
>
>  gopher://alessandro.route-add.net
>  gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su
>
>  The error message when I try to connect from the command line is
>  gopher: Nothing received for main menu, can't continue
>
>  Both of these sites hung the program for better than 3 minutes
>  before allowing me re-access to the program.

Same here, but the message I get is a little bit different. Here it is:

                           Network Error
Cannot connect to host alessandro.route-add.net, port 70.

Unknown error.
                                               [Cancel - ^C] [OK: Enter]

And some of the links displayed in the start page seem to be outdated
(for instance
[16] Home Gopher at UMN (a good place to browse)/)

My computer, when I type uname -a
"Linux elrascle-desktop 2.6.15-26-386 #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:00
UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux"

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake
Gopher client version: 3.0.11