[gopher] Re: Active ?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Active ?
From: Stegozor <stegozor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:00:02 +0200

On 8/17/06, JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Neither gopher://alessandro.route-add.net  or gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su are
> accessable from Port 70.  This is probably due to these Gopher servers being
> removed from Internet service.
>
>   The error you are experiencing appears to NOT be a issue with your Gopher
> software, but an issue with your DNS server.  As you state:
>   "When I go to a site I get mixed messages on unreachable links, one is
> pretty instantaneous telling me that the site is not available, the second
> hangs the gopher program for 2-3 minutes before telling me that it cannot
> connect to the host.".
>
>   The "instantaneous" failure is because there is no longer a physical IP
> address associated with the server you are trying to reach, so the DNS server
> sends back a quick response.  The failure that APPEARS to "hang" is because
> there is still an IP address associated with the unreachable servers (in the
> case of gopher://alessandro.route-add.net it is 192.182.210.150, and the case
> of gopher://gopher.rp.spb.su it is 81.3.164.16 ), and the DNS server spends a
> considerable amount of time trying to reach the associated pysical IP address.

Thanks for the explanation, but there's something I still don't
understand and that seems to be a bug in Gopher client to me: when I
press control-c during an attempt to contact these servers, I can't
take back the control of the program, the beep (from the buzzer)
becomes weird and repetitive and I have to close the terminal window.
I tried the same links with SeaMonkey, simply pressing escape stops
the transaction.