Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2005:
[gopher] Re: which gopherd to use and other info

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: which gopherd to use and other info
From: Alessandro Selli <dhatarattha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:13:19 +0200

sovietassassin@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> im looking to get into gophering and would like to setup my own
> gopherd. the two main gopherd's ive found are pygopherd and the umn
> gopherd and im currently running the umn gopherd.

  Please read this piece of warning concerning UMN gopherd:

http://lists.complete.org/gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx/2004/03/msg00007.html.gz
Subject:        [gopher] Re: Gopherd or pygopherd?
From:   John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:03:11 -0600

Gopherd is no longer maintained.  Security holes were being found in it
on a regular basis, and nobody really had the inclination to give it a
thorough security audit given the fact that more advanced Gopher servers
existed.  Therefore, I would strongly urge you *NOT* to deploy UMN Gopherd.

  In fact, UMN gopherd was dropped from the current Debian stable
(Sarge, 3.1) in favor of Pygopherd.

> is there a benefit
> or drawback to eithor and which one is recomended for me to run for a
> low usage mid priority daemon, well, unless there are other daemons
> someone would recomend.

  Myself I'm running Cameron Kaiser's Bucktooth:
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/buck/

and am happy about it.  Please don't ask which one is better, I'm sure
you'll be perfectly at ease with Pygopherd.  I only chose Bucktooth
becase Pygopherd would not run with the old python that used to be
shipped with the previous Debian stable, Woody (3.0), that I was using
when I first deployed my gopher server.

--
Alessandro Selli
Tel: 340.839.73.05