Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2005:
[gopher] Re: Access Control for PYGopherd

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Access Control for PYGopherd
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:44:33 -0600

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 07:29:31AM -0800, Jeff_W wrote:
> > appear to be the built-in access controls found in the UMN Gopherd
> > (not that I ever tried those, but I did notice they were there).
> > Is there a relatively easy way to "wrap" PYGopherd so I can control
> > via TCP Wrappers or do I need to look at firewall stuff like IP
> > Filter, etc. ?
>
> Hum - is no one else concerned about host access control (for
> pygopherd), or is there just no way to do it outside of a firewall?

Sorry, your message fell behind the quantum mailbox time threshold and
I didn't get to it yet :-)

Anyway, PyGopherd doesn't presently have these features built-in.  It
wouldn't be hard to add them, but you can achieve the same functionality
with Linux ipchains support.

Also, if your machine has two or more network intefaces, you can bind to
only one, meaning that pygopherd will only receive and answer requests
that come in from that network card.  See the "interface" option in
pygopherd.conf.

-- John