Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: November 2004:
[gopher] Re: About Bucktooth

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: About Bucktooth
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:30:28 -0800 (PST)

> I was considering installing Bucktooth on "route-add.net",
> but I wonder how safe can this idea be considering that
> Bucktooth seems not to have undegone any changes for three
> years and the following lines in the INSTALL file that make
> me both laugh and jitter:
>
> >This is a very, very scruffy hack of Bucktooth into a form that can be
> >used by outside server administrators. It is *NOT* a polished, end-user
> >product. If you don't know how to hack Perl, do NOT use it. There are
> >probably a billion security holes in it, and no doubt about a trillion
> >bugs. YMMV, CYA and pregnancy may result if improperly positioned.
>
>    What are your Bucktooth experiences like?  Who's using it?
> Should I just laugh about the INSTALL warnings and go ahead installing
> Bucktooth with little or no worry, or should I definitely put the
> software aside?

Bucktooth maintainer at your service ;)

I haven't made any changes to it because, simply speaking, I haven't needed
to. I do run it on gopher.floodgap.com, naturally, but as in any case, I'm
sure there are problems I haven't yet run across. Others have made patches to
buckd to allow it to serve Gopher+ documents, and modularized it somewhat,
but the basic distro has remained pretty much stable.

Nevertheless, be fully advised that if something comes up that needs my
attention, a patch and a new version will be issued most speedily. :)

Hope this answers your question.

 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Silly is a state of mind, stupid is a way of life. -- Dave Butler ----------