[gopher] fyi: free-net gopher site

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] fyi: free-net gopher site
From: "Michael L. Umbricht" <mikeu@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:22:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Recently I decided to go through our long neglected gopherspace and
clean up the organization.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that
there is still gopher development in progress.

I'm the admin for the Ocean State Free-Net.  Yeah, there are still a few
Free-Nets left.  This one serves the state of Rhode Island.  We're one
of the early members of the (now defunct) National Public Telecomputing
Network.

We've been running our gopher server since about 93-94.  Back then we
were known as osfn.rhilinet.gov  Now at gopher://gopher.osfn.org

Our gopherspace is pretty disorganized, but it's interesting in that it
gives a "snapshot" of what used to be available.  Sort of an online
timecapsule.

-mikeu