[gopher] FW: UMN Gopher 3.0.6 released

To: bugtraq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] FW: UMN Gopher 3.0.6 released
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:57:00 -0500

Recently, a security bug in UMN gopherd was reported to this list.  However,
the submitter of this bug made no effort to notify me (the maintainer of
this program) of the bug, either before or after the discovery of the bug.
I heard about it some time later by a bugtraq reader that submitted a bug to
Debian.

UMN gopherd has been not-really-supported since the maturity of alternative
Gopher servers such as PyGopherd and Bucktooth.  With the realization that
better servers than gopherd exist today, that gopherd needs but is not
likely to receive a thorough security audit, that gopherd has been largely
stagnant since the advent of these newer servers, and that migration paths
are available, I have decided to depricate gopherd and remove it from the
Gopher distribution, effective immediately.

All users of gopherd are advised to immediately upgrade to PyGopherd,
available from http://quux.org/devel/gopher/pygopherd.  It is important to
note that all versions of gopherd currently deployed now have known security
holes.

Thanks to UMN for their pioneering work in gopherd.  It has lasted over 11
years and inspired whole new ways of using the Internet.

UMN gopher, the curses-based gopher client, will remain part of the
distribution.

----- Forwarded message from John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> -----