Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2002:
[gopher] Re: Views

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Views
From: Robert Hahn <rhahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:04:24 -0400

If you're open to changing the spec, then perhaps it should be up to
the client to specify what's 'preferred'.  How can the server know
what a client wants, really?

In that case, the harder question to ask is: how can a client tell
the server what's preferred?

I don't have the spec handy right now, but can we have it so that
clicking 'pyramid' results in the server sending a list of extensions
(in the form of a gophermenu) to the client, then the client secretly
(w.r.t. the user) re-opening a new request for the preferred format,
or, if the client doesn't know, ask the user their preference before
opening the second request?  IOW, put the intelligence in the
client...

Maybe this idea doesn't change the spec...

-rh