Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2002:
[gopher] Re: Views

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Views
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:35:47 -0500

On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 01:00  PM, Ralph Furmaniak wrote:

> I included a list of features in a previous email, and I can write up
> some detailed info.

Ah, was it a mail to this list?

>> So you're saying that your buck branch handles UMN .Links/.cap files?
>
> I included the funtionality relatively recently (even has the same
> command-line options) based on the man pages, but I think the man page
> was not to clear on a few points.  I have not tested this out yet.

Not only that, but it doesn't document all of the options even.  The
best bet is the source code -- see gopherd/gopherd.c and
object/GSgopherobj.c for starters.

> Okay, on my server I have a directory pyramid.dir and in it I have:
> pyramid.tex
> pyramid.dvi
> pyramid.pdf
> Now when the server serves the parent directory, on seeing that the
> directory has a .dir extension it acts accordingly.  For a gopher+
> request it will give an item `pyramid` with the views found in the
> directory.  For

I like it!  How do you define which view is the default, though?  (In
Gopher+ parlance, the "preferred" view)

>> Indeed.  Already thought of that but have no idea how to do it :-)
>
> Should be a bit of DHTML or javascript and layers or iframes.  I have
> seen it before (I have a friend who does this sort of stuff) but others
> can probably implement the HTML better.  It should not be much of a
> problem writing the server-side code.

Yeah, the server side is easy -- I just don't know Javascript.