Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2002:
[gopher] Re: Views

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Views
From: Ralph Furmaniak <sugaku@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:00:32 EDT

> Sorry, I lost the location -- where can I find info or downloads for
> your fork?

I have temporarily removed the link to the download since I have basically
redone it, but have not finished testing it (I could put it up, but there still
might be some bugs, although it shouldn't be anything big).

I included a list of features in a previous email, and I can write up some
detailed info.

> So you're saying that your buck branch handles UMN .Links/.cap files?

I included the funtionality relatively recently (even has the same command-line
options) based on the man pages, but I think the man page was not to clear on a
few points.  I have not tested this out yet.

> I'm not quite following, can you clarify a bit (even with an example)?

Okay, on my server I have a directory pyramid.dir and in it I have:
pyramid.tex
pyramid.dvi
pyramid.pdf
Now when the server serves the parent directory, on seeing that the directory
has a .dir extension it acts accordingly.  For a gopher+ request it will give
an item `pyramid` with the views found in the directory.  For other requests it
will serve it as a directory. When the directory is requested it will display a
message and the list of views.  I hope this is clear enough, you can see it in
action at sugaku.homeunix.org

The files in the directory do not need the same base filename, since only the
extension is processed.+

> Indeed.  Already thought of that but have no idea how to do it :-)

Should be a bit of DHTML or javascript and layers or iframes.  I have seen it
before (I have a friend who does this sort of stuff) but others can probably
implement the HTML better.  It should not be much of a problem writing the
server-side code.