Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2002:
[gopher] Pygopherd nearing gopherd replacement

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Pygopherd nearing gopherd replacement
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:14:38 -0500

Hello,

Pygopherd is nearing feature-completeness relative to UMN gopherd.

Today, I have implemented support for UMN-style .Links, .names, etc. and
.cap/ files/dirs.  The implementation is believed to be an *exact* clone
of UMN support (by reading C code and rewriting it in pygopherd),
including bugs.  I have tested pygopherd over the quux.org site -- which
contains UMN menus of every size and shape -- and it is running fine
thus far.

The HTTP support has been enhanced as well.  There is now a nice-looking
icon system for HTTP.  Pygopherd will answer both HTTP and Gopher
requests on the same port.

The remaining items to complete are:
  * Support for "filesep" virtual folders
  * Support for Unix MBOX virtual folders.
  * Caching of gopherdirs
  * Specifying of hostname/port of server [easy]

Once these are complete, I intend to stress-test it by switching
quux.org over to pygopherd.  Assuming no bad result, version 1.0 of
pygopherd will be released.

After that, I will consider making pygopherd the default gopherd in the
UMN gopher tree, possibly with a configuration migration tool.  Comments
welcome.

Pygopherd 0.4 is available at gopher://quux.org/1/devel/gopher/Downloads
or http://quux.org/give-me-gopher/