Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: March 2002:
[gopher] \n.\n

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] \n.\n
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:17:18 -0500

I would like to abolish the adding of "." at the end of text gopher
documents.  Since we have most of the world's gopher client and server
authors in this group, we can do it :-)

Details:

SERVER:

All gopher servers MUST NOT add a "\n.\n" end-of-file marker to files
being transmitted.

CLIENT:

All gopher clients MUST NOT remove "\n.\n" from the end of files.

Note: I say this for clients to because we don't want to have to deal
with the case of having a file that ends with a dot.