Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2002:
[gopher] Re: Gopher wishlist

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher wishlist
From: Ralph Furmaniak <sugaku@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:34:07 -0500

> However, I'd like to really stress making sure that old gopher client
> requests are honoured under whatever strategem is devised. The vast majority
> of gopher users are still using a web browser, not a dedicated client.

That almost goes without saying.  I am, however, disappointed in what web
browsers
do, IE does not respect infos and does strange stuff, and netscape 6.2 uses the
tree structure that automatically sorts everything.  That is IMO why gopher
servers
should also be able to present the gopher through the http protocol (ie via
hurg,
or my additions to bucktooth).  I have no faith in web browsers and would rather
direct people to the http translation, at least until they can get some groovy
gopher client.