Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: Bucktooth and UMN gopher

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Bucktooth and UMN gopher
From: Emanuel Borsboom <em@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:02:51 -0800

> When I use UMN gopher to hit floodgap.com, the root directory has one
> item:
>
> "Main menu (non-gopher+)"

I remember I was trying to figure this out last year.  If I remember
correctly, it's because UMN gopher first attempts a Gopher+ request,
and falls back to a Gopher request if that fails.  Most Gopher(non-+)
servers will either fail, or return a standard Gopher directory when
given a Gopher+ request.  Floodgap's server notices that it's a
Gopher+ request and returns a menu that contains a single entry
which points to the root as a standard Gopher.

My interpretation of the Gopher and Gopher+ RFCs is that the correct
behaviour is for the client to make an empty (non-+) request when
initially connecting.  The resulting menu can contain Gopher+ entries.

--
Emanuel Borsboom
http://www.nuel.ca/