Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: newbie server administrator question

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx, mr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: newbie server administrator question
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Jan 2002 10:05:17 -0500

"Jason J. Gullickson" <mr.black@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I compiled and installed the 3.0.0 version of gopherd on a linux system
> (redhat 7.0) and managed to get things running, however when I browse the
> server using gopher and try to select one of the documents I have copied
> into my gopher root, the link goes nowhere

OK, first thing to check: the gopher 3.0.0 client had a bug wherin if
you specified a hostname on the command line, it would load it up
incorrectly.

You can workaround it like this:

gopher -p / localhost

Or you can upgrade to 3.0.1.

Do you actually get a menu?  If so, move the cursor over a link and
press the = key.  Let us know what it says.

Guidance may be found in the gopherd manpage for how to create links
and stuff.

> I don't really know much about gopher so I don't know how to troubleshoot
> this problem.  Is there a log like apache?

There is a log -- when you start up gopherd, it should tell you about
that.  You can use the -l parameter to gopherd to configure it.
However, it will probably not help you in this case.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

-- John