Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2006:
[Freeciv] Re: thoughts on rndCiv, freeciv-2.0.8

Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: thoughts on rndCiv, freeciv-2.0.8
From: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 03:17:57 +1200

Daniel Markstedt wrote:
 > On 6/24/06, banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >> I have also had some enquires from windows users on how to install
 >> rndCiv, but coz i don't use windows, all i can tell them is "install
 >> perl".  If a windows user has successfully installed rndCiv, could they
 >> please send me some instructions so that i can add them to the docs.
 >>
 > The obvious solution to this is to incorporate rndCiv into Freeciv
proper!

i'm cool with that, i always viewed rndCiv.pl as a pilot project, as a
proof of concept. I'd be very happy for rndCiv to be rewritten in c,
and become a standard part of freeciv.

Daniel Markstedt wrote:
 > Maybe it could be rewritten in Lua instead? Lua is already required
 > for the events framework.

Well, perl is useful coz it makes it easy to parse & munge the rulesets,
i dunno if lua has that capability any better than c has.  The main
issue is that large complex rulesets, take a long time to resolve,
and c may be best for that.

ie, this will take 15 minutes on my 800Mhz machine...
./rndCiv.pl -s 180 all

-banjo