Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2006:
[Freeciv] thoughts on rndCiv, freeciv-2.0.8

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] thoughts on rndCiv, freeciv-2.0.8
From: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 01:13:26 +1200

hey

ive just tested and found that rndCiv 0.7.2 works fine for freeciv
2.0.8.  I'm thinking about modifying the rulesets for that version
and would like input from other players.

One of the things ive been thinking about is how the Fantasy Races
work - currently (in rndCiv 0.7.2) you build a wonder (Mountain Hall,
Elveshome, Pyrates Cove, Orcs Nest) and then you can (depending on if
you've the tech reqs) build specialty units.  But they then can only be
built in that one city (the one with the wonder), the overall effect is
that you don't tend to build very many & they have a minor affect on the
game.

I am thinking that building the wonder could allow you to build
certain buildings in your cities which would then allow you to build
the fantasy units in more than one city.  However this would mean that
if you lost the wonder you'd still be able to build the fantasy units,
and then so would the player that took the wonder (assuming it wasn't
destroyed), you could even have the city with the wonder being  passed
around your allies and they could each start producing the special units.

Is this a good or bad thing?

So anyway rndCiv 0.7.2 for freeciv 2.0.8 works fine, and i would like
help to tune and improve the misc rulesets.  I'll start a forum thread.

I have also had some enquires from windows users on how to install
rndCiv, but coz i don't use windows, all i can tell them is "install
perl".  If a windows user has successfully installed rndCiv, could they
please send me some instructions so that i can add them to the docs.

I've also noticed that the game-loss Leader units, act stupidly, they
blunder about in enemy territory and they can be killed there.  When
they die their nation disappears - which is annoying, I think that it
would make more sense and be better for gameplay if their nation had a
civil war if the king dies (at least for ai players).

rndCiv can be downloaded from http://banjo.actrix.com/code/rndCiv/

-banjo