Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2006:
[Freeciv] Re: RFE: corruption should depend on the effective distance to

To: Fishpark <fishpark77@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RFE: corruption should depend on the effective distance to the capital
From: "Peter Schaefer" <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:16:20 +0200

On 6/11/06, Fishpark <fishpark77@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Isn't that rather trivial? store a distance_to_capital number per world tile,
> and recompute that
> whenever a road is built. When calculating the actual corruption,
> multiply by a factor that takes  into account technology and wonders.
>
> (distance to capital on any tile being calculated in the same way got-paths
> are calculated currently (is that a-star or a similar path-finding
> algorithm?) )

Well, this would be more like a flood fill, A* is more directed. The
CPU cost for that scales with the size of the map, and would to be
paid anytime a road is built. And you'd have to store the value for
every tile.

Not sure this is that effective, but I'm not really good at matching
the req's with todays tech.

> Would corruption be determined per tile, or for the city as a whole, using
> either an average or min/max approach?

That is an inspiring question to me.
If you had corruption per tile, then it would be natural to combine
this with the ideas mentioned on the freeciv-dev list of a)sharing
tiles with other cities b) managing cities/workers on the map

This would be an entirely new game then, you'd build everything on the
map, that is buildings and wonders would occupy a tile, and it would
work more like Populous. I would suggest that all facilities that
confer bonuses would apply regardless of facility and tile ownership,
then the bonus map could be shared between players, again easing the
CPU/memory burden, and allowing for some interesting cooperative
strategies and deals between players on one island.

--james