Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2006:
[Freeciv] Re: feature request: tab for units not yet moved

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: feature request: tab for units not yet moved
From: Wolfram Sieber <wolfram.r.sieber@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:32:51 +0200

Christian Knoke schrieb:
> Jason Dorje Short wrote on Mar 28, 23:07 (-0500):
>
>>Wolfram Sieber wrote:
>>

>>>when developing large civs usually I want to operate all units of a kind
>>>at one time, say, first move all the airplanes, than fast moving land
>>>units, then available soldiers and so on.
>>>
>>>Currently, to be able to do so I have to cycle thru all the units moved
>>>not yet to get a kind of order of the units (by operating the currently
>>>wanted units and 'w'-ing the one currently not to operate).
>>
>>In 2.1 the 'y' button may be of use here.
>>

>>>I think, this issue could be improved by making another tab available
>>>that lists the units which have some moves left for the current turn.
>>>Probably the best design for such a tab would be a one similar to the
>>>cities tab where one can chose by which column to order.
>>
>>Interesting idea.
>

> We could improve the sorting order of idle/active units in more ways:
>
> - the default order is sometimes bad; it should cycle strictly
>   geographically

No, I don't think so: When operating the units located on a common
continent, say fighting a battle, it is much useless having caravan
units activated in between. Hence, I'd prefer a higher priority for the
kind of unit instead of its location.

On the other hand, imagine a "Cities" like tab which could offer
different kinds of order, like by unit, by continent, by experience
level, by kind of unit (i.e. battle unit, civil unit, trade unit etc).
Also, a nice feature were if the player could set a bunch of selected
units to "yet moved", e.g. when all current battle units shall
"convalesce" before sending them to the next battle. -- In my current
game, I made the mistake to let several dozens of cities built an
airplane unit each. But since I don't have the much ground units, I
cannot conquer cities I once disarmed. So I gained lots of experience in
hitting the 'w'/space key again and again (ver. >= 2.0.5)... Would be
nice if a units tab could offer a "already moved" option.

> - after unloading a device, first process the container and then *all*
>   unloaded units

By the way, I saw that the "+" sign doesn't get removed from a ferry,
when all previously loaded caravans establish trade routes to the city
the ferry has been moved into. The "+" gets remove only as when I move
the ferry outside the city.

- --
Wolfram