Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2006:
[Freeciv] Re: feature request: spy satellites

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: feature request: spy satellites
From: John Preston <john.d.preston@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 08:52:14 -0500

Well it seems to me that there are a couple of workable mechanisms...

1. Geosynchronous satellites -  Players build a rocketry facility in
the a given city to enable the technology, then when a spy satellite
is completed the player moves the satellite over the desired area. It
will then hover over that location indefinitely (losing health at a
rate that will bring it down in 20-30 turns) and can only be attacked
by either nuclear weapons or some sort of SDI defense. (You've got to
give the surveilled nation a chance to kill the satellite.)

2. Low-earth orbit satellites - Similar to an explorer, this unit
disregards all terrain effects and can move across water with ease.
It has no ZOC and can stack on top of enemy units. It should have a
line of sight of several squares and a very high movement value (on
the order of 20-30 squares per turn). It would be nice if it were
limited to straight-line movement, but I'm not familiar enough with
the game design to know if this is possible or not.

Also it might be a good idea to create a minor wonder that enables
this technology, or just tie it to the Apollo Program.

--
John Daniel Preston
john.d.preston@xxxxxxx