Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: RFE status

To: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Sam Steingold <sds@xxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: RFE status
From: Michael Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:27:21 -0500

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 09:22:18AM +0000, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Sam Steingold wrote:
>
> > 2. make siege easier:
> >  an enemy unit should make it impossible to work neighboring tiles
> >  (unless the tile is controlled by a friendly unit)
>
> Someone will have to code it, then we will have to test it. Until then I
> have no opinion on it. Personally I think siege should be even tougher, if
> implemented, like in Moo2, where the presence of any enemy unit within
> the system (city range) will cause a blockade that prevents you from
> rush-buying production and dramatically reduces outputs.

I think that Per means tougher on the city being sieged. The original idea
if I remember devolved into a masochistic discussion involving O(n^nth)
algorithms.

Though I've not looked at the code in question, I think that loss of
production at nearest neighbor tiles would be quite easy to shoehorn into
the code that would be very effective at enhancing siege capability
(sieging units don't have to be directly in attack range of the city to
siege effectively).

This in fact would be a good small project for one who doesn't have a lot
of coding experience.

-mike