Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: operate a set of cities at once: change production, bribe

To: Wolfram Sieber <wolfram.r.sieber@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: operate a set of cities at once: change production, bribe / buy cities
From: "Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jonadab@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05 Aug 2005 18:28:13 -0400

Wolfram Sieber <wolfram.r.sieber@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Christian Knoke schrieb:
> > On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 04:48:13PM +0200, Wolfram Sieber wrote:
>
> >>is there yet a way to select and to bribe a set of cities at once? -
>
> > Since you need to have a diplomat or spy next to all that cities I don't
> > think that it might be pratical working.
>
> But a player apparently going to dominate "the world" gets - IMHO -
> annoyed soon to handle each single step. I think, in a later stage
> freeciv should offer a higher abstraction to interact with the
> game. One of this abstractions could be an auto-distribution of a
> set of spies, or a single spy that performs this action in a
> sequence of turns.

Ah, the way you had stated the original question, "select and bribe a
set of cities at once", sounded like you meant they should be bribed
*right then*, when the user selected them.

Issuing higher-level orders that would cause diplomats and spies to
automatically seek out those cities and attempt to bribe them would be
a different sort of thing from that.  Not that that would be a bad
thing, but it raises the question, why should only diplomats and spies
be able to receive "high-level" orders?  Why shouldn't the player be
able to select a set of enemy cities and make them a conquer priority
for his howitzers and bombers, for instance?

Of course, this sort of thinking can be taken too far.  I don't think
many of us would derive hours of enjoyment from hitting a "Conquer the
World" button, which instructs all our cities and units to do what is
necessary to conquer the world...