Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2005:
[Freeciv] Re: how to add a new nation?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: how to add a new nation?
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 11:15:53 +0200

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 09:35:27AM -0700, Netotea Sergiu wrote:
> Thanx Christian, I already added romanians at
> http://bugs.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=12988
> And tested them also, working splendid.

Can you login as guest in rt and attach romanian.zip to the ticket?

> I wanted to add a few cities around today Romania
> also, but finally i did not, thinking probably the
> same.

Ok.

> However, i must disagree with your rule concerning
> modern nations.

It's not my rule. We've had long discussions about that.

> I will give you an example. Hungarian
> ruleset has cities like Kolosvar, NagyArad, Temesvar,
> etc. They are all in Romania's teritory now and are
> named Cluj, Arad and Timisoara (350.000 population
> each), but belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire
> until 1918.

So the hungarian.ruleset needs to be corrected.

> But there are significant hungarian minorities there,
> from 5% to 30%, and as i am a romanian from
> Transylvania living in Hungary i can tell you all my
> hungarian friends are REALLY connected to those
> cities, and consider them as belonging to their
> nation. And why should we spoil this pleasure of
> playing with our nation historical cities? After all,
> it is just a game, it is OUR freeciv.

Of course it's your Freeciv, like it is everybody else's. You can always
play with your own set of ruleset files. This is about the official
distribution of files.

The point here is that Hungaria as well as Romania are flagged as 'modern'
nations.

> Now I want to add Chisinau (700.000 population- all
> romanians - present day Moldavia), Cernauti (in
> Ukraine), and other cities. What if a romanian from
> Moldavia wants to play romanians, isn't he depressed
> for not finding his proud city there?

Possible. But how do you think feels a Moldavian if she finds her city in
the nation of her romanian game opponent?

> Take Chisinau - Freeciv has this in russian ruleset,
> but the population (700.000 people) is all romanian
> speaking people.

I get the impression that there are more mistakes about choice of cities in
some rulesets. Maybe someone with good geographical knowledge can correct
them.

> We really should not make national politics, I can
> tell you everybody hates in my region, and just get on
> to play freeciv with our nations.

I agree here, I also hate to discuss politics one this list. I touched this
topic only to avoid further (future) problems when people complain about
this. Also I like to have some geographical correctness in the nation files.

> Do not confuse nations with states. In my opinion more freeciv nations
> should share the same city, regardless of the real-life states borders,
> allways imperfect and unjust and sometimes super-imposed by the world
> super-powers.

I think its common sense that 'modern' Freeciv nations correspond to
existing states, no matter whether they are unjust or not.

Just make a 'historical' ruleset file (or set of) to reflect the borders or
nations of lets say 1900?

Christian