Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: destroy a city instead of taking it over?

To: Eddie Anderson <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: destroy a city instead of taking it over?
From: Ross Wetmore <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:57:07 -0400

This is a longstanding issue with the Civilization game as a whole. Over the
decades, there have been a number of solutions worked out using existing
rules, and in some case programmed enhancements.

Of course, one would always want the option to activate such a feature in
the rules to allow player choice for solitary gaming. There are some further
issues with multi-user and competition games that that mean controversial
options are not always a great thing :-).

Personally, I always go for an option system provided the longstanding
gameplay is one of the options and usually the default. This allows
experimentation, and certainly does not cause the anguish that neophyte
programmers often introduce by changing longstanding gameplay for their
limited reasons of the moment, arrogantly overruling those that have worked
and designed game options, play and strategies for considerably longer
periods of time. Getting fresh ofttimes good changes without being forced to
swallow initial experiments and misguided tries is the programming problem.

Some concerns to consider though are whether destroying a large city is in
fact a realistic event, and what resources might be required to actually
accomplish this. Certainly, doing this for villages and small towns is quite
a reasonable strategy, so a rule that applied until one could build or
required an aqueduct might be one sort of thing to be tried. Selling or
redistributing food as an order or diplomatic option without going through a
Caravan trade route path might be an interesting update to help with the
food disposal problem.

Current strategies besides starvation which can be optimized to happen over
a small number of turns by things like "growing" the city until the foodbox
is empty, and then starving a city size per turn, include things like
leaving the city to be recaptured. After a couple of exchanges it will be
reduced to the small size that usually results in razing. Note promoting
tax, science or luxury during the starvation process is one of the side
benefits from currently usable strategies, as well as selling all current
improvements and/or transferring ownerships of non-essential units or other
assets.

Cheers,
RossW
=====