Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2004:
[Freeciv] destroy a city instead of taking it over?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] destroy a city instead of taking it over?
From: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Eddie Anderson)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 03:23:49 -0400

    Is there an option setting or rule that I can modify that will
allow me to destroy a city when I conquer it (instead of having to
manage it)?  When I conquer an enemy city, I don't always want to
add it to my civ (for a variety of reasons).  But unless the enemy
city was size 1 when I conquered it, I'm forced to manage that city
after the conquest.

    In most cases I'd rather raze that city and move on the next
one.  I've noticed that there is a "raze" option in the rules.  But
it looks to me like that rule only applies to the buildings in a
conquered city.  What I want to do (in some cities) is raze the
whole city (all the population, all the buildings).  Ideally, when I
conquer a city, a dialog box would open with two choices:

 1) Raze this city
 2) Add this city to your civilization

With that choice, I could explicitly choose the fate of that city.

    Unfortunately, I haven't found any such an option or rule.  So
instead, when I don't want to manage or defend a conquered city,
I slowly starve it instead.  I starve the conquered city until it
shrinks to size 1.  Then I set it so that it can't grow (which,
unfortunately, isn't always possible) and leave the city undefended.
When an enemy (eventually) reconquers that size 1 city, the city
vanishes.

    The problem with the starvation method (besides it being cruel
:-)) is that it wastes time.  If the conquered city has a lot of
food in its food box, it can take many turns to shrink the city down
to size 1.  During those turns I have to leave a garrison unit in
the city to prevent the enemy from liberating the city before it
gets down to size 1.

    I'm looking for a way to get the same result (complete
destruction of the enemy city) on the turn when I conquer it.
Is there a way to do that that I've overlooked?  Thanks in advance
for any help you can offer about this.

Eddie