Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Sneak Endyear on Pubserver.

To: freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Sneak Endyear on Pubserver.
From: Arnstein Lindgard <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:00:37 +0100

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:05:03 -0500 (EST) Bill Landis wrote:

> Sometimes I really wonder about people.  How much harder is /set endy 250
> than /set endy 100?  I, too, think this or a similar patch should remain
> in place at least until something else/better is decided upon.
>
> The last version I saw gave a message of the sort "endyear must be at
> least 2 turns in the futuer".  Saying "endyear cannot be before $year"
> would be much more useful and likely eliminate complains from all but the
> most clueless or obstinate/impatient.

I think it's an unwarranted application of draconian measures. I
think the real problem is that with every generation that goes on the
net, some percentage will have the need to express themselves in an
antisocial manner. The solution could be implementing an "exit
message" like you find in most fancy irc clients. That way we would
be rid of them and they could express themselves at the same time.

There are so many other ways to cause havoc, and we don't really need
to engage in a time-consuming security race with annoying persons.
Sorry, I meant assholes. Just tell them. (Don't tell us).

For those who occasionally make a rash typo, or become momentarily
impulsive, a visible warning message (in red maybe) should suffice.

Arnstein