Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Sneak Endyear on Pubserver.

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Sneak Endyear on Pubserver.
From: Bill Landis <blandis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:05:03 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Reinier Post wrote:
[...]
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:51:14PM +0100, Mateusz Stefek wrote:
>
> > Quick and dirty fix for pubserver.
> > When you set endyear it must be > game.year + 5 turns.
> > Hope this will help
> > --
> > mateusz
>
> I think I'll withdraw this patch after discussing it with players,
> they say bona fide players find it too difficult to end a game this way.

Sometimes I really wonder about people.  How much harder is /set endy 250
than /set endy 100?  I, too, think this or a similar patch should remain
in place at least until something else/better is decided upon.

The last version I saw gave a message of the sort "endyear must be at
least 2 turns in the futuer".  Saying "endyear cannot be before $year"
would be much more useful and likely eliminate complains from all but the
most clueless or obstinate/impatient.