Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: running civserver to allow external access

To: Patrick Webster <aushack@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: running civserver to allow external access
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:37:40 +0200

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 05:39:25PM +1000, Patrick Webster wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to run civserver from home, allowing mates to connect to my PC.
> When you run civserver, it binds to 127.0.0.1.

No, it binds to 0.0.0.0:5555, as you can see with netstat -an on a Linux
box, which is port 5555 on *all* interfaces.

If others can't connect to it, the reason may be, you have a firewall/packet
filter running. Or a router maybe the problem.

> How do you bind to an address? civserver -h gives no useful information,
> and I have checked the FAQ and server manual and also searched google
> with no results.

There is no way, currently. But you are encouraged to use a packet filter to
*prevent* others from connecting if you don't want it.

Hhm, I haven't checked Windows. If you use it, this may be different.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke          * * *          http://www.cknoke.de
* Please note new mail address - Neue Mailadresse beachten *