Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: hi :)

To: Horn Gábor <Horn.Gabor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: hi :)
From: Adam Czachorowski <gislan@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:37:04 +0100

Dnia 2003.01.11 19:22 Horn Gábor napisa³(a):

> First about  smallpox/largepox. In the two week i'm playing freeciv
> for,
> i haven't seen a single game where largepox could stand againt spx. So
> it's simple, spx rules :) But imho w/ just spx we have a smaller range
> of possible tactics, the game became more predictable. So imho if we
> could find a solution for lpx too, that would be good for gaming
> experience. I've read the articel about it on freeciv.org, but as i
> was
> told on servers that isn't really usable in real life.

It's not true! I loosed many games playing with smallpox vs largepox.
Maybe at standard options smallpox is really better, but, belive me, if
you change few options largepox is as good as smallpox. Of course it is
more complicated (and gives you much more fun).

> When thinking about it, i had a thought: now every city has 21 fields
> (raduis 2 to
> every direction) to collect resources from. Doesn't matter if it's a
> small or big city. In real life it's not rue, a big city usually has
> far
> larger area where its people go to work (prod), shop (trade) than a
> small. So imho if simply change the radius as the city grows, and let
> the areas overlap each other, that could help to lpx. Here's what i
> think: let's say city A at size 10 on position (10,10), and city B at
> size 2 on pos (10,15). Now city A should has radius 5+1 (4 from size,
> 1
> initally), and city B should has 2 (1 from size, 1 initally). So the
> areas can overlap each other, and now it's the players decision how he
> allocate resources. Does he wanna a strong capital and a small
> satelite
> city? Or twoo equivalent cities? It's his choice. It even might help
> question 2, which i describe in the following section.

IMO it's VERY good idea, but size of city should be limited (think
about cities bigger than 30, they could be bigger than your starting
island). I don't know if it could help largepox, but it can make game
much better.

Best regards
Adam