Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: backgrounding the civserver process?

To: brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: backgrounding the civserver process?
From: Kilobug <le-mig_g@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:10:15 +0200 (MEST)

> Is there a way to background the civserver process on a unix platform?  I'd
> like to be able to start it, then background it and log off the server and
> have the game continue running.  Right now I have to leave the connection to
> the server open, since the process immediately suspends when it is
> backgrounded.

I don't know if there is a way to do this directly with civserver, but
I think  the program  "screen" could do  the job  for you: log  to the
remote server, run screen, run the civserver process under screen, now
you can  detach the screen  (C-a d) and  log out from the  server. The
process will still run as if  it were in foreground. You can later log
again to the  server, and use 'screen -r' to  reattach to the previous
screen, and input commands to the server if you like to.

Read the  screen manpage and play  with it, you'll see  that screen is
often very useful :)

--
** Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug", Ing3 EPITA - http://kilobug.free.fr **
Home Mail   : kilobug@xxxxxxxxxxx          Work Mail : le-mig_g@xxxxxxxx

"Software is like sex it's better when it's free.", Linus Torvalds