Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2002:
[Freeciv] CNET Downloads Publishers Newsletter

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] CNET Downloads Publishers Newsletter
From: "Download.com Publisher Newsletter" <Online#3.11946.a8-JNy01W4wjceQP9RR.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:04:16 -0700 (PDT)

 e48220020418

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
April 18, 2002
Dear Readers,

Welcome to the first issue of our CNET Downloads Publishers Newsletter. This
is a special newsletter written for software publishers who have products
listed in the CNET Downloads network of sites.

In this issue, we're providing you with important news about Download.com
andproviding information and insight about what we're learning from our
millions of downloaders. It's our sincere hope that this regular
correspondence will be valuable to you. If for any reason it is not, you can
quickly unsubscribe (see the bottom of this newsletter) and we won't bother
you again.

We will use this newsletter to announce new features and to keep you posted
on initiatives at CNET that will affect you. We will use this newsletter to
share valuable data and trends in the download marketplace that you simply
can't find anywhere else. We will not use your e-mail address to send you
anything other than CNET Downloads developer-related mailings unless you
havealready elected to receive those separately.

Sincerely,

Scott Arpajian
Senior Vice President
CNET Downloads

Please send any comments about this newsletter to devnews@xxxxxxxxxxxx[1]
  Nearly 7 Million Registered
[IMG]
Several weeks ago, Download.com began a registration drive with our users.
The information we collect about individuals is kept strictly confidential
inaccordance with our privacy policy.  However, we'd like to share some
aggregate information about the entire group of registered users with you.
Itis our hope that this information will help you make more informed
decisions about how to market and develop your software.

Quick Facts
  * Total users registered to date: 6.7 million
  * Typical registrations per day: 62,000
  * Percentage of registered users outside the US: 56%
  * Top 5 countries represented: US, Canada, UK, Netherlands, Australia
Here's how registration works. Download.com requires visitors to register
after their fifth consecutive download. At this time, they supply some very
basic information, such as email address, job function, industry, company
size, and country. Users need only to register once.

What have we discovered so far? We immediately quantified something we
already knew-our visitors do a lot of downloading! Over 50,000 people
registered within the first 24 hours, which means that there are at least
50,000 people who downloaded five or more products in a single day. The tide
of registrations keeps flowing with an average and consistent number of
62,000 new registrations per day. Overall, Download.com has a very strong
andvaried international audience, with over half of the registered users
living outside of the United States. Our audience breakdown is consistent
with overall Internet usage studies, with North America and Europe
representing a large percentage of the group.

We also learned that our users are technically proficient. A network study
weconducted in 2000 revealed that 35% of our users were in the IS/IT
industry, and that 73% of the overall audience considered themselves to be
expert or advanced computer users. Well, our recent registration data shows
that they're also getting promoted! Over 7% of our total audience are not
only in the IS/IT industry-they're either senior or executive managers.

In the next few issues, we'll be taking a deeper look at the Download.com
audience demographics and trends, with an emphasis on providing you with
information that will help you in planning and marketing your products for
our visitors.

Note: Did you find this information useful? Please let us know by sending
email to devnews@xxxxxxxxxxxx[2]. Trend Watch: Music still tops the charts;
WinRAR on the rise
[IMG]
The best way to keep tabs on what's hot is to closely watch the Download.com
Most Popular chart-the industry's definitive list of what's being downloaded
on the Web. In the past year, file-swapping programs like Morpheus and Kazaa
have dominated the charts. The year before was marked by the incredible
popularity of chat program ICQ. And of course, Winzip remains the most
consistent download of all-never leaving the top 10 for six years straight.

But while keeping tabs on the top 10 is fun, the smart entrepreneurs know
that the real action lies in determining what will be the next big thing. In
this regular section, called Trend Watch, we'll help you with that detective
work by reporting on the most popular search terms at Download.com - a
leading indicator of what active software downloaders are starting to look
for.

This month's top search terms:
1. Kazaa
2. Winzip
3. Morpheus
4. Divx

This month's "fast risers"
1. Winrar
2. Realplayer
3. OSX
4. Acrobat

Note: Did you find this information useful? Please let us know by sending
email to devnews@xxxxxxxxxxxx[3]. Speedy Submissions Delivers
[IMG]
In December of 2001, CNET Downloads rolled out a new service called Speedy
Submissions. This is a program for Software Publishers who desire expedited
processing and posting of their title in the CNET Downloads software
libraries.

Because of the tremendous number of titles submitted to Upload.com[4] on a
daily basis, the current wait for getting a title processed and posted to
ourdownload libraries is several weeks.  Using Speedy Submissions, you can
dramatically shorten this time to one business day, allowing you to post a
new title to CNET Download sites, and confidently adhere to a product launch
schedule.

To participate, submit a new program on Upload.com and then complete the
Speedy Submissions form.  We accept all major credit cards to quickly and
easily get you on your way to more downloads.

Click here to read the Speedy Submissions FAQ[5]

Click here to expedite your listing with Speedy Submissions now[6] Ask
Download.com
[IMG]
Q.  How do I get my program in the Download Spotlight/Today on
Download.com/Dynamite Downloads/Download Launchpad/Dazzling Downloads areas
of the site?  How do I get a Pick designation for my title?

A. The Pick[7] designation and Today on Download.com are editorially driven,
therefore placement in those areas is left to the discretion of our
editorialstaff.  If you want to contact our editors with a note about your
product, send a brief description of your product, along with any features
orenhancements that you feel warrant coverage to edit@xxxxxxxxxxxx[8].
Please do NOT send generic press releases, they are usually ignored.  Keep
inmind that this in no way guarantees coverage or placement.

Q.  OK, but how do I get listed in the Dynamite Downloads/Dazzling Downloads
areas of the site?

The Dynamite Downloads area is used to promote applications which
participatein revenue sharing programs with Download.com, and represents an
innovative way to increase promotion and sales of your product. Simply put,
you create a custom build of their software program with a coded buy link,
and agree to share a percentage of gross proceeds with us. In turn, we will
increase promotion of your product on our network of sites. Specific
promotional opportunities cannot be guaranteed due to the high volume of
participants in our program. If you're interested in learning more, please
contact us at paidprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxx[9] and we'd be happy to discuss the
specifics. Note: this program currently requires that you are participating
with RegNow[10] to sell electronic editions of your product. [11]

The Dazzling Downloads[12] section is a service provided to our Elite
Listings[13] clients.  Elite Listings are a cost effective way to promote
your title by raising it to the top of any listings page.  For an example of
an Elite Listing see Ulead RecordNow Max here[14].  To see the current Elite
Listers, check out Dazzling Downloads.[15]  Click here[16] to get more
information about Elite Listings.

To get more information about either of these programs, send an email to
paidprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxx[17] with the title of your program and your area
ofinterest. Attention Commerce and Customer Relationship Vendors:
[IMG]
We are currently in the process of considering new relationships for our
Upload.com[18] area.  We are interested in hearing from firms that deliver
solutions to software authors to enable registration and purchase of
softwarelisted on Download.com.  As well, we are entertaining proposals from
firms delivering services to software authors.

If you have a product or service that you feel would enhance Upload.com and
benefit software authors, please drop us a line at paidprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxx[19]
with a description of your product or service, and how you feel you could
benefit our partners.  We will reply only to vendors of interest. Important
Contact Info for Developers
[IMG]
To add a new title to Download.com, go to http://www.upload.com[20]

To easily increase exposure to your title on CNET Download.com for free,
participate in our button program.[21]

Click here[22] to contact Download.com Support for general support issues.

To provide feedback for this newsletter (yes, we want to hear your
comments),please send email to
devnews@xxxxxxxxxxxx[23]

[IMG][24]
The e-mail address for your subscription is <#ACFIELD FORMAT="NORMAL"
NAME="CUSTOMER.LOGIN"#>

 Unsubscribe[25] | Change e-mail format[26] | FAQ[27]  | Advertise[28]
[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][29]Price comparisons[30] |
Product reviews[31] | Tech news[32] | Downloads[33] | All CNET services[34]
[IMG]

Copyright 2002 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. [IMG][IMG]

--- Links ---
   1 mailto://devnews@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   2 mailto://devnews@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   3 mailto://devnews@xxxxxxxxxxxx