Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2002:
[Freeciv] question: CivII like tileset for FreeCiv

To: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] question: CivII like tileset for FreeCiv
From: "Marco Tarini" <tarini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:18:46 +0200

I would like to have a tileset for FreeCiv
that makes it look like  _exactly_  like Microprose Civilization II.

Now, as an extreme solution I could try and do it myself (also through
a lot of ripping and screen capturing from the Microprose Civ II itself),
but before going this lo-o-o-ong, difficult  way I was wandering if anyone
did it
before, if there are any suggestions, shortcuts, etc.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

In case you are curious, this is the reason why I need it:
a friend of mine has some sight problems, and while he is used
to recognize every pixel of the original CivII graphics, he finds very hard
to see things clearly on any other graphics (I think we tried them all).
This makes FreeCiv practically impossible to play for him.
(Yes, I personally think that the non-isometic "trident" set is much
learer  -and also looks wonderful- but that's subjective. Apparently, it
lacks contrast, and others.)

(PS: I understand there can be problems of the legal sort in distributing
such a tile-set too widely)

marco