Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: Tileset making/Image conversion

To: Cronos <cronos3@xxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Tileset making/Image conversion
From: <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:18:49 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Cronos wrote:
> OK, I give up. For few days I'm trying to make a tileset. Everything's fine,
> making .tilespec and .spec files, but I can't make graphics! Well, I can,
> but the background of units, cities in the game is black, not transparent. I
> tried many image converters (png2bmp, Irfan, Sea, even ImageMagick didn't
> work). First, I convert existing units.png into .bmp. I then edit it and
> convert back into .png, run Freeciv and it's always the same: black, not
> transparent units background. Any ideas?

I don't think BMP has support for transparency...?

Also, you are aware, I hope, that there is an option in the client which
turns transparency on and off?

What image editor do you use? I use gimp for editing tilesets and it works
wonderfully. gimp works in windows as well.

If all else fails, try sending me the offending tileset files, and I'll
try to help out.

Yours,
Per

Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason."
 -- Sir John Harrington (1561-1612)