Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: keyboard driven freeciv?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: keyboard driven freeciv?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:09:17 +0100

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:34:57PM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 01:00:11PM -0900, Britton wrote:
> >

> > Is there a way to allow the goto command to accept keyboard directions
> > where to go?
>
> Hmm, perhaps we could query hover_state in the key_move_DIR() functions
> and if it's HOVER_GOTO, we do the goto line function instead. Anybody up
> for this?

I don't understand this - you want to move the goto target with keys?

> I'm not entirely certain how data/Freeciv actually works... can we pass
> parameters in those functions? If so, it'd be nice if we could do reduce
> the 8 functions in control.c into one that gets the parameter and then does
> the business.

I don't really know, I think you need a Xt manual to find out.

> Speaking of data/Freeciv, this was never updated after the new city dialog
> went in. Does it need to be? Does the fact that the dialogs in the
> clients are now different complicate things?

Yes, it needs to be updated when dialogs change.  But it is just
for the Xaw client.

> > In general, it would be great if freeciv allowed a bit more keyboard
> > control.  Its pretty good already.  Besides goto, the other notible
> > exception I can think of is the build list.  There are too many choices
> > for selecting between them with the arrow keys to be efficient.  If every
> > buildable think had a one or two letter code which would automaticly
> > select them for building, that would be better.
>
> You are referring to the city worklists I presume?

No, the build list.  It's stupid to have to scroll and click Settlers
amidst 20 other choices when you want build Settlers 95% of the time.
Being able to type S would help here.

> The problem here is that
> in order to navigate the city dialog, you wants keys to be active for the
> entire dialog, not just the worklist.

Why?

> Also, there are a lot of possible build targets, the codes would be fairly
> incomprehensible.

No, it is standard behaviour to select the first item matching the key typed.

> Also, you've got the issue of different translations, not
> be mention the problem of entirely different rulesets...

No problem, the feature is generic.

> How about a Page up and Page down that works in the available targets list?

Doesn't fix the problem.

> > As long as I'm making suggestions, how about a way to beep the other
> > players in the chat area before the game starts?  I sometimes end up
> > missing people while doing other things waiting for players to show up.

I would like that, but I don't know how to bee a speaker in code.

--
Reinier