Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Graphs from civscore.log

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Graphs from civscore.log
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 20:31:26 +0100

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 10:46:24AM +1030, Justin Hawkins wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I whipped up a little script to generate some stats from the civscore.log
> file.  You can see a sample at:
>
> http://hawkins.dropbear.id.au/static/civ/civ.html
>
> I'm interested in what people think. FYI, it requires perl and gnuplot.
> This was born out of a desire not to get my hands dirty with making java
> work to make CivLog work :-)

I've said this before, and promised to follow up on it, and never did, but:
your graphs look very similar to the ones at

  http://civserver.freeciv.org/

(pick any game) and I bet the code looks very similar, too.
If you have any suggestions for improvement, let me know.

Does your code work with 32 players?  (I hit gnuplot's color limit
before that and wrote a postprocessor to fix it.)

> It's not ready for a public release, but it's pretty simple and doesn't
> need much to make it so. Basically just add some options and remove some
> hardcoded stuff.
>
> It'd be neat for such graphs to be linked from the metaserver page for
> eaach game, though they might give away too much information - it might
> only be appropriate to generate them after the game is over.

Yes, that's what we do on civserver.freeciv.org.

> I also have some ideas about making the civscore.log a little more verbose
> to make the graphs a little more explantory - basically adding 'units'
> information to the different items, plus a couple of other things.

Good idea, the civscore.log file is optional after all.

> Merry Xmas!

Happy New Year :)

--
Reinier