Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Slighty embarrst. Re: Re: Help

To: Scott Davis <scott.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Slighty embarrst. Re: Re: Help
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:08:21 +0200

Am Dienstag, 21. August 2001 02:20 schrieb Scott Davis:
> Reinier Post wrote:
> >Well, using boats is difficult: the list has had enquiries about it
> > before. I'm not sure if it can be addressed in the user interface.
>
> One non-backwards-compatible change which would make it obvious for
> new users with no long-term negative impact would be to have a
> separate state "waiting for ship" which land units can go into when
> they are in cities. At the moment, the SENTRY state is used for "hang
> about until a nasty comes past, then wake up" and also for "if a ship
> wanders into port, get on it and leave with it".

Well, there could be made a change with the units "states". Additional
to this: 1. There is no "stop" state for ships, on "sentry", they often
wake up, even if you don't want them to. 2. There is a "fortified" state
for units inside cities, which take a turn to come into effect (changing
"F" to "X"), but this means nothing, the units don't become stronger
with that in a city. Plus, if they are on "sentry", the heal faster
than on "fortify" (AFAIK) , but wake up sometimes before healed. Plus,
this interferes badly with the board ship function, which you mentioned.

> If there was a separate "board ship" command in the commands menus,
> it would be obvious to new users that they can use that instead of
> sentry. Unfortunately a side effect might be that it is less obvious
> that units can also step on to a ship floating next to land.
>
> If there are some land units and some ships all on the same sea
> square, is it possible to tell which units are on which ships, and
> even make them transfer at sea in a reliable manner? (without
> consuming movement from any units)

My suggestion for a change: Only ships in active (not sentried) state
do load units.

My trick to do that now: activating all units, then resentrying those
to be transported with the first ship, moving that ship, repeat ...

> Thanks for a fun game.
>
> Scott

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *